Another 1980 DT175G Question

dachshund1
Training Wheels

Another 1980 DT175G Question

Post by dachshund1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Guys (and Gals):

After replacing my clutch side crankcase cover due to damage, I'm having problems with the kick starter on my 1980 DT175G not returning to its upright position. The kick starter shaft appears properly indexed - and the return spring is functional and correctly installed - so I'm guessing something else is amiss.

This may be a stupid question, but does the oil seal identified in #21 (see below URL) go inside or outside of the crankcase cover? I assumed inside, but the kick starter issue now has me thinking otherwise. I swear no such seal was found when I removed the original crankcase cover - yet the assembly schematic clearly shows it. Without some type of seal, I would think engine would leak oil like a sieve through the kick starter shaft opening.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... 5g/starter

In advance, thanks for any insights you can provide.

Terry
dachshund1
Training Wheels

Post by dachshund1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Never mind - I figured it out. Duh.

The old seal was so old and cemented into the external recess - it looked like a cast part of the crankcase cover. Some carb cleaner helped distinguish it, and a dental pick and some outward force managed to dislodge it.

So, the answer: The seal goes on the outside of the crankcase cover into the recessed area around the kick starter shaft exit.
MarkT
Training Wheels

Post by MarkT » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Yup. Parts diagrams are sometimes misleading and sometimes just plain WRONG. Good job figuring it out! [o-o]
1970 CT1B
1979 DT175F
1991 RT180B
1963 Yamaha YG1-T "Trailmaster"
1965 Yamaha MG1-T "Omaha Trailmaster"