2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - Center Section

DVM
Training Wheels

Post by DVM » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Baoktiger First I would like to again congratulate you as well as Jgresh, D-man, Mako, and Motoguy for the magnificent efforts and completion of the TAT WHAT A GRATE ADVENTURE!!![:-!] I must say that Iâ??m quite envious.

I would tend to agree with you that at near 13,000 feet smaller machines would struggle (at best). I believe I was talking about a LESS AGGRESSIVE type of TAT ride. That would be a ride limited to about 10,000 ft. and covering no more than maybe 150 miles per day maximum. I feel that a somewhat less demanding type of adventure would allow smaller machines to participate more in vintage enduro adventure rides. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE VINTAGE ENDURO ADVENTURES!!!!

I know from personal experience that 175â??s can perform quite well at altitudes up to 11,000 ft. Last summer forum member DTMEIS and I were riding trails and doing hill climbs at 9,000 to 10,000 ft. We had to install smaller jets. Normal jetting on our modified bikes at sea level is 220-230 main jet. In the Mammoth Lakes, Ca. area (8,000 to 11,000 ft) we used 180 main jets AND we geared back to stock i.e. 16/45, we normally run 17/42. Our 175â??s ran surprisingly strong and could carry speed near 11,000 ft:).
makotosun

Post by makotosun » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:53 pm

This is an interesting discussion. Displacement is only one factor of success on such a ride. I agree with Baok that the 360's and the 400's are probably much better equipped to do the section that was done this time around. I know my 125, even running in top form, would be hard pressed to maintain the speeds we did on the flats, and still have the "grunt" power necessary to handle the hills, water, the mud, etc. The altitude can be dealt with through jetting, but as Baok said, there is a lot more to the ride than just the bike.

You need a chase vehicle, (really mandatory on any lengthy vintage ride), trailer, tools, parts, navigation tools, extra bikes (good idea if possible) a chase truck driver, fuel backup planning, gear to cover all possible weather, etc. The thought of it all is still a bit daunting.

Any time you want to shorten the daily mileage, you shorten the ride available. If you want to go the same distance, you will need more time. This ride was planned given a specific start and finish point, and needed to be scheduled around everyone's busy lives. It took a full two weeks for Motoguy and myself, and I believe the same for Baok and Dman. Jgresh actually took nearly a week longer as he rode his bike back to Florida! [doh]

Mind you - there were at least two other riders who dearly wanted to participate but were unable to coordinate time off. (One did plan on riding a well prepped DT250!)

I think that there is a market for "TAT like" vintage enduro rides. I would love to be involved in some myself. Hopefully that will begin to happen after this ride has proven it can be done. I suspect most will not be as aggressive, grueling, time consuming, as this one was, but who knows.

I do know that there will be more rides planned by the TAT Group, and we will continue to titillate the forum with our exploits! whistle
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
Experience is something you donâ??t get until just after you need it.

Esperto Di Ripristino Di Enduro Di Maximus - makotosun1@gmail.com
Trojan Man
Training Wheels

Post by Trojan Man » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 am

Do I see a tourist destination developing?
Could finance the function!
I too would like to be able to participate on my little AT3.
It'll never be like the first one again.
baoktiger

TAT - Bike Discussion

Post by baoktiger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:19 pm

Thanks for the pat on the back. It is appreciated!.

I do think that a smaller Enduro could do many parts of the trail, I just dont think it could do the trail loaded like we were with large bodies and heavy bags of tools, spares, and associated things we chose to carry. I would venture to say we carried maybe an additional 30 lbs of things. The time and Horsepower which we used would have been more than a smaller enduro could provide.

I also think the suspension would fold after miles of abuse of the smaller bikes. I blew both front seals and Jgres blew a real New Progressive Shock. The TAT is a torture chamber for a bike and a rider. Like Jgres and Dman both allowed that it would be a heck of a hard ride to do it without breaking it up in sections.

I plan to ride the entire TAT now on my DT400C. Maybe do the Eastern Section this fall and then the Western Section next spring.

No one ever said anyone has to ride it like Dman, Jgres and I did after we left Blackwell, OK. Issue was, we needed to make certain destinations each night to complete the trip we had planned: OK, NM and CO. I also dont know what the advantage of not making 200 miles a day would be other than make it a very long trip.

I hope anyone who has a vintage bike will go ride something. I am going to stick with the Big Bore Enduros and try to do all the trips I can on this type of bike. I will finish the TAT from end to end on the DT400C.
"Live to ride" or it must be "Ride to Live"
DVM
Training Wheels

Adventure Ride Necessities?

Post by DVM » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Baoktiger mentioned carrying thirty pounds of tools, etc with them on the bikes. What tools, other than the normalâ?
TomK
Training Wheels

Post by TomK » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I think I can join in here. The 125's, 175's and 250's are all capable of doing this type of ride provided most of the gear is in the support truck(s), more being better. I suspect a slower pace would benefit all riders as thsi endevor should not be a race but a companionship type ride, sharing good times and adventure riding the type of bikes we all learned to ride on. Who really cares if we could only ride 100 miles or less per day? A trip of this type is more about having fun and remembering how it was when we were kids.

A weeks vacation would mean 7-9 days of riding, easy to cover 700-1000 miles in that time frame. And if that is too long of distance for you, then how about a goal of 500 miles? Vacations should be about stopping and smelling the roses, not how far you can get in a given time frame. If you are always in a hurry and rushing around, when do you expect to have any fun?

The smaller bikes would be much easier to handle in a lot of the sections the larger bikes struggled through due to their smaller size and lighter weight.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom
Jugalo

Post by Jugalo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:38 pm

I understand your idea about less miles in a day if you are wanting to stop and smell the roses.
I think these guys saw more scenery in the TAT ride, than most of us do in a half-life.

I know Bao intends to ride the whole TAT on his bike before he is done, IF he is ever done.
(That simply means I wouldn't be surprised if Bao finished the whole TAT, then began again.)
I think for him, getting as much of the TAT completed as time allowed was part of the goal.

I am anxiously awaiting updates on the website Mako created.
It is a shame not all the riders were able to be together for the whole ride.
Instead of one big story, we get tidbits from sub-rides.

Color me GREEN.
Keepin' It Up In Michigan
Jugalo[:o)]
makotosun

Post by makotosun » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Still working on gathering the info and pics for the website.

I am busily working on the video footage from the Moab side trip, but talk about time consuming! I have in excess of 2.5 hours of continuous video, most of it being reasonably usable. Trying to get it down to a manageable size, and keep it interesting, is a huge job. The TAT video will be even more.

For a couple of really short teasers to get you in the mood to ride, I was playing around with my titling program and came up with these:

http://s93795793.onlinehome.us/video/tattrailer2.wmv

And for a bit of first person crashing......

http://s93795793.onlinehome.us/video/crashburn.wmv

I will be posting more extensive footage here and on the website soon, but be patient. This stuff takes enormous amounts of time, and I do have another life I need to attend to!

I will try to do some in streaming video and maybe some flash video so it doesn't take so long to download when I can. Enjoy :cool: If it doesn't open when you click on the link, right click and save it to your desktop - works better that way in Firefox at least.

Jugalo

Post by Jugalo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Like I said...can't wait to se more of this exciting footage.
The first video says 'fall 2007' at the end.
It should read 'Spring 2007.'

Either way, you are a talented man Mako...I enjoyed your video teasers.
Keepin' It Up In Michigan
Jugalo[:o)]
makotosun

Post by makotosun » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Oops. It was 3:30 am when I finished that one. [doh]