2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - Center Section

baoktiger

2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - Center Section

Post by baoktiger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 pm

This is the first post of the TAT ride of 2007

Final preparations are now underway for the trip, My Mountain Bike is finally preped and all, break in is now complete. Makosun will be updating the ride and we will try to keep daily updates for those who care to follow along. A more complete ride report will follow with all the riders sharing the input.

Story: Group of Vintage Yahama Enduro Riders who share the love for the Original Yahama Enduross of the 70's, testing the bikes and ourselves over the TAT. The Ride with cover all of the Sections of Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado with the trip ending in Monticello, Utah.

For the New Members of the Forum, you may want to read the Thread of the TAT ride to get up to date. It has been a true adventure just to get to this point and give alot of info or the history of the ride preparations so far.

Friday May 25, 2007 - All riders will arrive in Broken Arrow and begin final preparations for the ride. There will be a get together around noon and continue thru the afternoon. Several bike shop owners and crews, riding enthusiasts, friends, and the riders will be hanging out. Get together is open to anyone who would like to meet the gang from the forum. PM me for directions if you would like to stop by.

Saturday May 26, 2007 - The TAT ride will begin with the ride for the day ending in Blackwell, Oklahoma. Departure is planned for a 9:00 am departure and from there the TAT will dictate the rest of the schedule.

Trip Goal - The goal of the ride is to travel the Road Less Traveled, safely complete the Oklahoma, New Mexico and Colorado sections of the TAT, make and share some Rocking Chair Memories, and most of all help anyone who says "I wish I could do that" and change that statement to "I did that".

Personal Note: I have sat around for the last 25 years working, raising kids, and running the rat race of life. Now, it is time to begin seeing the Road Less Traveled and travel North America while I have the ability and the Back Roads are still open to enjoy.

Thanks to GasPipe at http://www.whiskythrottle.net, Mark at http://www.BigDogAdventures.com, Cris and Spice at http://www.rtw101.com, and James, Steve, Michael and the gang of http://www.RoadLessTraveledMovie.com for reigniting the fire for life once again. Of course Sam at http://www.transamtrail.com for your efforts for giving us the TAT. Your stories and travels have been a true inspirition for me. Thank you so very much for sharing your travels.

Special Thanks to Dman and 1971DTE1 for the support in getting this going, and Makosun, JJgres, and Mark for making the decision to travel along and share the fellowship of the road.

Eboss, Most special thanks for allowing us to share our adventure here on the YahamaEnduro.com forum as well as the many hours you have invested in the forum.

I hope everyone enjoys the developing story and tails of the trail.

Time to ride.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Live to ride" or it must be "Ride to Live"
baoktiger

Quick Link to what started this

Post by baoktiger » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:07 am

baoktiger

Bike is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by baoktiger » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Added the final touches to the Mountain Bike today. Installed the front springs (great source Mako) and seem to have all the spring action back in the front forks. Bike actually sits up like the good old days.

Definately time to ride.
Jugalo

Post by Jugalo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:09 am

Bao
C'mon Man...we need pictures!!!
Keepin' It Up In Michigan
Jugalo[:o)]
baoktiger

Practice Runs

Post by baoktiger » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Cheated a little last weekend, I took a 3 day ride with an Enduro Club from Kansas. Road about 750 miles on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The cheating part was I rode my KTM 950 Adventurer for the first time on the back roads. What a great ride.

Plan for me was to get some handle on riding the TAT with limited support and gear. Worked well with the Big Bike. Rode 250 miles of dirt, mud and water in the Eureka Springs, Arkansas area. I will report that if anyone gets the chance to ride the area, TAKE IT. Beautiful country, great back roads and nice night life in the Springs. Water crossings were the biggest challenge as the water was 3 feet in some places and had to work hard in the loose gravel. Other than that the effort was to stay on top of the bike in the loose gravel.

This upcoming weekend I will be riding the Arkansas Leg of the TAT. Going to take the XR650L for this ride. Carry a pack on all the days of the ride. Goal is to see how the old body holds up for the the 650 miles from the Helena, AR starting point to Home.

Now I know this is not the Vintage Ride which is going to be much larger challenge then with the new rides in the stable, but got to give a guy a little leeway to get in shape first.

The Mountain TAT Bike is complete and broke in. Just a few final touches and it will be on the TAT in a matter of weeks. Hopefully, the ride reports will be as exciting for you all as the anticipation is nearly over whelming with unknowns of the Vintage Equipment. What to take, what not to take, which gearing to use, and on and on and on.

Down to counting days and not weeks. If there are any new members who live close to the TAT in OK, NM, and CO please advise. Might need some support along the way.

Chow for now.
baoktiger

Tricycles, Bicycles and Motorcycles

Post by baoktiger » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:12 pm

Enjoy, I finally made it to the little screen.

http://www.roadlesstraveledmovie.com/we ... r-mac.html
DEET

Post by DEET » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:29 pm

Tricycles, Bicycles, and Motorcycles! :rolleyes:

As you get older, the order will reverse!
baoktiger

The Ride

Post by baoktiger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 pm

Gentlemen, I rode the Arkansas Section of the TAT a couple of weeks ago. What an amazing ride. A small group from Tulsa rode 750 miles in 3 hard days of dirt, mud, mountains, valleys and FUN.

It is so good to be back on the bike and riding. The DT400 Mountain Bike is ready now. Road tested and ready for the departure in late May for the OK, NM and CO sections of the TAT.

As much as I have enjoyed the restorations of the Vintage Bikes the ride of the TAT is the icing on the cake. Everyone needs to enjoy the trail and the Road Less Traveled.

I guess the bottom line of the trip was no matter how bad the motel was at night, after a 250 miles of dirt and all, the motel was the best place I had ever seen.

http://www.kieth.smugmug.com if you want to see some of the pics of the trip. I could never get them downloaded on the site here without locking it up.

I hope to help Makosun with the daily updates on the upcoming ride but will depend on him to keep all informed of the trip. LETS RIDE!!!!!!!!
baoktiger

Time to Ride

Post by baoktiger » Sun May 20, 2007 8:24 pm

I guess you can say the Ride has started, jjgres has departed and headed to Oklahoma. The rest will depart on Tuesday and be on the way. Here I sit trying to get the Chase Truck and Trailer loaded.

Final preparations are near completion and time is now down to hours and what doesnt get finished just did not need to be.

Trip plans have changed a little from the first original. We will depart Broken Arrow on Saturday Morning and work our way to Monticello, UT by Friday of the next week.

Hope you all enjoy the trip, Mako will be the boss of posting and I expect a final rider report will be fun to get on the web. Hopefully we will be able to post on the trip to give a day to day update.

Lets Ride.
baoktiger

Trip has started

Post by baoktiger » Wed May 23, 2007 7:17 am

The guys from the West Coast and Jjres have departed and are making their ways to Oklahoma. Everyone should be here in Broken Arrow Thrusday night or Friday early.

Chase Truck is near ready, bikes are as ready as they are going to get, and all is nearly packed.

Friday will be the final get to know each other, load the chase truck, and get the final preparations done.

Departing BA at 7:30 Saturday morning assuming all goes well and as planned.

more to come.