Poll Question on the TAT...

drew0512
Training Wheels

Poll Question on the TAT...

Post by drew0512 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:39 pm

If a person resides in the "mid-Atlantic" region of the U.S.(the Carolina's) and he was thinking about a vacation of let's say 10 days, riding a section of the TAT on a vintage bike, what section would YOU choose??? It could be 8 travel days and 2 riding days or 2 travel days and 8 riding days, just wondering what your opinion is?

DT3, RT2
DEET

Post by DEET » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:38 pm

The "official" start of the TAT is in Jellico, TN.
All travel is west of there.

Start there and try to make it to Oark, AR.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
Yamaha Parts Diagrams located here: CLICK ME
baoktiger

Post by baoktiger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Its all good, start at the beginning and work your way West.
"Live to ride" or it must be "Ride to Live"
endurojunkie
Training Wheels

Post by endurojunkie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:38 am

I recently had a chance to spend some time talking with someone who did the entire TAT this past summer. I told him that a friend and I may be planning to ride part of it this summer on vintage bikes. His recommendation was to bypass Tennessee and start off in Arkansas because TN is now almost all pavement. Any thoughts?
DEET

Post by DEET » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:21 am

What is the goal of the ride?
If it is to ride the "TransAmerica Trail", then it really doesn't matter that some of it is paved.

If the goal is to ride only dirt on the TAT, then he may be right. You will need to go west of Tennessee.

Everybody has a different expectation of the TAT.
My expectations were always met because I just wanted to find adventure with a bunch of my buddies. The path we were on made it better.

My opinion...

You have been riding the stuff here in the Carolinas, so make the next step... head for Colorado. Spend a few days there. Mark where you stop. Then next year, pick up from there.

In my opinion, the most challenging of all the TAT will be found in Utah.

Some of the classic TAT riding will be found in Nevada.

But then again, good riding can be found in lots of places. Not just the TAT.

Here is another thought... if you want to become familiar with navigating the TAT, start at the begining. Ride it until you have to head back. Next time, pick up where you left off.
Keep up the routine until you have made it to the Pacific.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baoktiger

Post by baoktiger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:30 am

endurojunkie wrote:I recently had a chance to spend some time talking with someone who did the entire TAT this past summer. I told him that a friend and I may be planning to ride part of it this summer on vintage bikes. His recommendation was to bypass Tennessee and start off in Arkansas because TN is now almost all pavement. Any thoughts?
Tennessee is mostly paved, but at the same time it was good to see. The TAT will give you everything there is to ride. May as well see it all. A good rain storm, snow, heat or anything will change the TAT and the whole experience.

I have ridden all of it once, some of it a couple times now, some several times and some of it backwards. It is never the same ride, always something new.

Trip prep is key, thounsands of turns, maps are difficult, GPS is good, time rushes by. Be ready for long days of grinding along. Less is more probably the most important thing.

Advrider.com has all the years of the vintage tat rides plus here where it all started. All the lessons learned can be found and opinions of nearly every mile of the TAT.
"Live to ride" or it must be "Ride to Live"
DEET

Post by DEET » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:00 am

It also goes a lot faster if you are not replacing top ends each evening.... [LoL]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
endurojunkie
Training Wheels

Post by endurojunkie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:03 am

baoktiger wrote:Tennessee is mostly paved, but at the same time it was good to see. The TAT will give you everything there is to ride. May as well see it all. A good rain storm, snow, heat or anything will change the TAT and the whole experience.

I have ridden all of it once, some of it a couple times now, some several times and some of it backwards. It is never the same ride, always something new.

Trip prep is key, thounsands of turns, maps are difficult, GPS is good, time rushes by. Be ready for long days of grinding along. Less is more probably the most important thing.

Advrider.com has all the years of the vintage tat rides plus here where it all started. All the lessons learned can be found and opinions of nearly every mile of the TAT.
Good information and thoughts, Thanks guys! The main reason for this guyâ??s recommendation was the amount of time we would have. His opinion was the best riding was from Arkansas west.
dman
Training Wheels

Post by dman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:15 am

DEET wrote:It also goes a lot faster if you are not replacing top ends each evening.... [LoL]
all part of the experience my friend!
1) Unconsciously Incompetent:He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.

2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.

3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.

4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

"I cut it twice and it's still too short"
DEET

Post by DEET » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 am

dman wrote:all part of the experience my friend!

Hee-hee...!

That reminds me.... you can also experience flat tires, failed oil pumps, running out of oil, getting stuck in the snow, getting stuck in the mud, flying over the handlebars, the motel in Helena Arkansas, burned wiring, shattered collar bones, water in your gas, rainstorms while decending mountain switchbacks, walls of bugs, traffic, getting lost, your team getting lost, getting left behind, bad food, slippery water crossings, burned out headlights, one mile of 3 foot deep water, local law enforcement curiosity, failed wheel bearings, failed voltage regulators, failed trailer hubs, missing chase truck drivers, motel repair bills, fog on the Blue Ridge Parkway, truck repair bills, grain harvester attacks, squirrel hunters, amish farmers, cliff edges..... and those are just the happy memories.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]