2009 - TAT Vintage Ride - Eastern Section

jjgres
Training Wheels

2009 - TAT Vintage Ride - Eastern Section

Post by jjgres » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Just wanted to be the first to post this.

So how about we carry less fuel for the eastern section. Are the fuel stops within 100 miles or so?

Also, what is the estamated total distance Tenn to OK?

Any chance of getting dry weather?

Joe
DOGBOY
Training Wheels

Post by DOGBOY » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 pm

TN to OK or more percise bristol to tulsa, we just made this trip down i-40 the middle of may. it is close to 1200 miles. but then you won't me traveling I-40 now will you.

actuallly i would like go this time around if and only if you guys that will be going think that a 175 will not hold you up to much at all.
dogboy
1975 DT175B, 7600 miles
baoktiger

Post by baoktiger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm

DOGBOY wrote:TN to OK or more percise bristol to tulsa, we just made this trip down i-40 the middle of may. it is close to 1200 miles. but then you won't me traveling I-40 now will you.

actuallly i would like go this time around if and only if you guys that will be going think that a 175 will not hold you up to much at all.
dogboy
Joe, I have not healed up from the last exercise, here you go putting the pressure on already. I think it is about 1700 miles or so. I was thinking of adding a section all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.

Hell, I still have to finish what I started this year.
"Live to ride" or it must be "Ride to Live"
jjgres
Training Wheels

Post by jjgres » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 am

DOGBOY wrote:TN to OK or more percise bristol to tulsa, we just made this trip down i-40 the middle of may. it is close to 1200 miles. but then you won't me traveling I-40 now will you.

dogboy
Since i crash about every 10 miles if you keep that 175 around 15 MPH steady you will finish ahead of me.

Joe
DOGBOY
Training Wheels

Post by DOGBOY » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:50 pm

woo hoo im in!
1975 DT175B, 7600 miles
jjgres
Training Wheels

Post by jjgres » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm thinking we did 1300 miles tulsa to monticello, then 1700 miles monticello to oregon, the tat is about 4900 miles. Do we need to do 1900 miles the eastern leg?

I must be wrong here.

Joe
dman
Training Wheels

Post by dman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:49 pm

IF you just took secondary roads NO hiway its about 900 miles from Jellico to Broken Arrow. I haven't put the official TAT into the GPS routing yet but would guess its closer to 1200 by dirt. if we add the Atlantic section to DIP the knobbies from coast to coast, that's another 600+/-. but that is for sure mostly asphalt, I don't think there is a dirt route thru the first miles from the coast.

We did do about 1800 on the westerns section but it is closer to 2400 if we did every official mile. We had to do some cuts to save some time and to bypass snow, high water, locked gates, mud ect...
1) Unconsciously Incompetent:He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.

2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.

3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.

4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

"I cut it twice and it's still too short"
baoktiger

2009 - TAT Eastern Section and Beyond

Post by baoktiger » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:31 am

Gentlemen, again using that term VERY loosely now I really know who I am dealing with.

The new year is here, our lack of attention and planning may be the downfall to completion of the final phase of the TAT, understanding I personally have to return to the deserts of Neveda and finish the TAT from Battle Mountian, Nv to the end.

I have no date in mind for the Eastern Section of the TAT and remain open to the start point and ending here at the shop.

My plan however for the Western Section is shaping up to add another leg to the adventure. Plan is to start at Battle Mountain, NV and complete the TAT to Port Orford, OR. From there load the bike on the chase truck and head East to the Contential Divide in Montana and ride from the Canadian Border to Mexico on the Mountain Bike and then trailer home.

I changed my oil and greased my chain so should be good for either trip that goes first.

All ears here Dudes as Joe would say.
makotosun

Post by makotosun » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:38 am

Baok - I and Motoguy are interested in riding at least some of the western section with you if we can schedule it. Probably not the whole ride from Battle Mountain, but possibly a day closer or so. Depends on timing of course. I think Dman can be coaxed along for at least part of it, as we needed to bypass some really interesting sections last time due to lack of available time!

I know I want to go through Denio Jct., OR again and get another side of beef on a bun.

Eastern section is most likely a ways off, but I am still onboard for that trip. 2010 should work. If we can set up the western section when school is out, then I will have more flexibilty. (mid june through august) I know it gets hot, but the bikes will be fine.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
Experience is something you donâ??t get until just after you need it.

Esperto Di Ripristino Di Enduro Di Maximus - makotosun1@gmail.com
baoktiger

Post by baoktiger » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:47 am

For the Western Section I was actually hoping to try a September timeframe for the TAT and then be out of the Northern Rockies Contential Divide before the snow fall in October, but August might work. Might even try to make it happen with the Aspens changing colors, makes for beautiful pictures and riding.

Still many unknowns at this point, was thinking of doing it alone if you guys cant make the Ride. Change tires, oil and adjustments at your or Dmans place then hit the Divide. Be a heck of a ride.