Roger and the unstoppable DT175

Use this forum for stories you'd like to share.
Enjoy!
OhioTed
Training Wheels

oh yeah - the camera

Post by OhioTed » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:01 pm

The Boss's note about the fuzzy photos attached to this story reminded me of the camera responsible. During those olden days, my "riding jersey" consisted of a surplus Army shirt, the pockets of which neatly accomodated the little "Pocket" camera I carried around all the time.

Can you guys remember those cameras? They were flat, and about the size of a chubby, stubby TV remote control. With their plastic lenses, and incredibly slow shutter speed, the only redeeming quality of the things was their portability.

As mentioned above, I always had one on me, and the images preserved as a result are virtually the only ones ever produced during those fun times. What a shame. They didn't hold up too well either, and those you see attached to my story were worked over considerably with a photoshop program in order to get 'em looking that good. And yet, because of their exculsivity, they're pretty much priceless. How 'bout it?

PS: I knew "Antiqu" would recognize the locale in this story right off, 'cause me and him stomped the same grounds, all them years back. He's spot-on with his info, too.

Back in the 70's, Wellsville was incredibly popular. On any given summer weekend, there would be hundreds of riders buzzing around all over the place. We were lucky back then too, 'cause quads hadn't been invented yet, and many of the trails were glorious single-track. No offense intended to any quad riders out there, but you gotta admit, trails and trailriding have changed immesurably since their inception. Also, the buggies and 4wd's were pretty much limited to the "front section" back then, and we had all the good trails to ourselves.

Not the case now. As mentioned in my story, all the trails are WIIIIIIDE open these days. Even some years back, I remember stumbling across this brand-new, incredible single-track, way up on top by the lookout cliff, from which you can see Mountaineer Racetrack. Antiqu knows where I mean. Anyway, the trail was hard to get to, very tight, and nearly A-level challenging. I remember thinking, "Man, no four-wheelers are going to be able to use THIS trail". Wishfull thinking! Next time I went back, the BUGGIES had actually gotten in there, and that beautiful single-track had been ripped apart, and could have accomodated the Goodyear blimp. "Sigh"
tokensandbagger
Training Wheels

Post by tokensandbagger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 am

Wow, I have the same bike Roger had and reading this thread makes me wonder if removing the spark arrestor in my (stock) pipe is a difficult task. I only use my bike on the street (so no forests would be harmed) and I'd love a little extra boost!

Anyone know if those arrestors are removable or if they are permanent fixtures and would take something more involved, like drilling, to get that puppy out?
1975 DT175, 1974 DT360, 1972 DT2 250
ctune80

Post by ctune80 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

OhioTed has some great stories. I've read a lot of them but hadn't seen this one.
EN, who was the 1971 Plate holder you are reffering to? The only Pro Enduro Yamaha guys I
remember back then where John Fero and Gary Surdyke.
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.......

Post by Enduronut » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 pm

ctune1 wrote:OhioTed has some great stories. I've read a lot of them but hadn't seen this one.
EN, who was the 1971 Plate holder you are reffering to? The only Pro Enduro Yamaha guys I
remember back then where John Fero and Gary Surdyke.
Larry Shoemaker ..., Canoga Park, CA

" A wise man knows he isn't "

:rolleyes: - EN ... sigles@rushmore.com
... Failure ² = Success
valvesR4wimps
Training Wheels

Post by valvesR4wimps » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 am

I have to add my $0.02 to the CT/DT 175 love fest. I got mine seriously dirty at EFest 2010 at hungry valley and mt Frazier. Bike is a bone stock CT3.

And it hauls tail down the trails! Even climbed the "Wall" by our camping area -- with street oriented sprockets on it! Again, bone stock. You look at this little pint size enduro and think it could never make it over rough stuff at any kind of speed but it sure does. The thing is a blast to ride. [ok]
DT1, CT3, RT3, DX175, IT200(x2), K380SX, K250EXC (plated), Diesel Truck, '66 Pony, Prius (it all balances out)

I love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning -- smells like Victory!
dwil4
Training Wheels

Post by dwil4 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm

. Just a resident good-old-boy, who lived right up the street from the trails,

ole Rog looked axe handle rough! like he could prob handed out a few a** whipping's in those days also...lol
dwil4
Training Wheels

Post by dwil4 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 am

Anyone have any more stories/pictures to share? I love hearing how others grew up riding. Sure was different times back then..
Larry$
Training Wheels

Post by Larry$ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:39 am

I hadn't seen this thread until just now. What a great story! Truly the good old days. Just a bunch of buddies having fun. And the variety of machinery was always interesting. Some kid's folks bought them brand new and some of us knocked together whatever we could. The few times I've been back to Michigan where I grew up, the old powerline trails, cow trails, etc. are all gone. Fenced off, closed off or just plain not used anymore. Lots of great memories. Not sure how many kids just trail ride anymore. Seems like they are all into the X-game stuff now.

[ok]

[flag]
Formerly DTbop

1973 RT3
1981 IT-465
(1/2) 1982 IT-465
2001 Indian Scout

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

II Timothy 2:15 - "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

This applies not only to the Bible, but to your shop manual as well.
(borrowed from Dan's On-line Motorcycle Repair Course)
daxiongmao
Training Wheels

Post by daxiongmao » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 pm

... I wouldn't trade my "175 MX" for anything else on the trail - goes everywhere my RT2 does & most times easier [o-o] Randy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]