YamahaEnduro.com  

Original YamahaEnduro.com forum (From 2006) 13,185 archived posts

Go Back   YamahaEnduro.com > General Discussion > Restoration Projects > Total Restorations Projects - Bikes from beginning to end
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #61
Rick C.
Enduro Master

Rick C. May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideWJK View Post

I'm trying to clear some elbow room in the garage so I took the pipe for the DT2, cleaned, sanded and painted it, mounted it up....noticed a couple holes and what could be a crack.... I've seen a few mentions of pipe repair on here, not exactly sure how I should proceed and how much care is required...can I salvage this one?

Totally fixable. along with the dents.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #62
SouthsideWJK

SouthsideWJK May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default electric avenue

Well, took me a bit but I managed to track down NOS choke and ignition coils as well as a spiffy new main switch. The DT1 has a rectifier on it, but the wires were snipped at the base (what kind of MONSTER does this?!!!) so I scooped up what turned out to be a rectifier from a later model.....other than being a little light on wire slack when I hook it all up, it shouldn't affect the system should it?

Managed to fight the kickstand on

As for the foot pegs, I got new springs, rubber and pins. My next question to the minds here on the forum: do I flare the pins with a vise or can I use a hammer? Is there any special trick to this? (I saw a thread from 2013 that dealt with this...if I have to buy a double flare tool I will, just wondering if there was a way around it)

SouthsideWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #63
SouthsideWJK

Default Rectified.

$20.00 on eBay and BAM! Problem solved! Side note, if anyone needs what appears to be a nice RT rectifier lemme know!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #64
lha
Enduro Master

lha May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideWJK View Post
Well, took me a bit but I managed to track down NOS choke and ignition coils as well as a spiffy new main switch. The DT1 has a rectifier on it, but the wires were snipped at the base (what kind of MONSTER does this?!!!) so I scooped up what turned out to be a rectifier from a later model.....other than being a little light on wire slack when I hook it all up, it shouldn't affect the system should it?

Managed to fight the kickstand on

As for the foot pegs, I got new springs, rubber and pins. My next question to the minds here on the forum: do I flare the pins with a vise or can I use a hammer? Is there any special trick to this? (I saw a thread from 2013 that dealt with this...if I have to buy a double flare tool I will, just wondering if there was a way around it)

With a punch,expand the pin from inside the hole,then use a ballpeen hammer to flatten the end against the washer. Personally,I got a shoulder bolt from Ace HDWE and a nylon locknut for that application. The pipe can be silver soldered if done carefully,but make sure you find all the holes Wire welding can also be done with a filler rod.
lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #65
SouthsideWJK

Default Merry Christmas!

Forks powdered and rebuilt, headlight and ears powdered and rebuilt. This was just before company came and I had to haul her to the garage....

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #66
dtmeis
Event Coordinator

dtmeis May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Your red frame looks great !

Some of the prototype DT1's had red frames..
Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #67
SouthsideWJK

Default My brain is cramping...

Hit a bit of an impass, hoping you guys could throw me a lifeline....I was missing a circlip on the right fork (sneaking suspicion it launched into the garage abyss during tear down). Bought a massive assortment at Harbor Frieght (non of which fit) broke down and ordered a NOS replacement from ye olde eBay.

Got the fork together. It's about an inch longer than the left. So, I took it apart, reassembled it. Still, about an inch longer. I'm gonna tear them both down and redo them a third time, this time side by side....am I missing something?

Also...I scooped up a new trip knob and grommet for the speedo...anyone know what size screw I need for this? I have read DEET's immaculate restoration thread on gauges and didn't see anything on it (trade secret?)

I'm taking a day off from the build so let my brain rest before I tear into it this weekend. I'm probably having some newbie oversight...

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #68
SouthsideWJK

Default Got 'em!

I finally got the stones to sit down with the foot pegs. The vise method was a big strike out, Iha I took your advice, expanded the pins with a punch, used the rounded end of a ball peen to drive them a bit more open and then bore down with a hammer. Turned out great!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #69
DEET
Enduro Master & Forum Moderator

DEET Is somewhat knowledgeable about EndurosDEET Is somewhat knowledgeable about Enduros

2mm fits some of the trip knobs.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...

Yamaha Parts Diagrams located here: CLICK ME
DEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #70
SouthsideWJK

Default Brake question...

When I have a minute later this weekend I'm going to repost the pics lost in the crash (probably after I pay Photobucket for 3rd party hosting privileges apparently? edit: just checked....$400?!!!!!!! A YEAR?!!!!)

In the meantime I have a picture-less query: I was a touch hasty getting my frame off to powder, failed to remove the nylon sleeve where the brake pedal mounts. It's melted. I'm gonna drill/chisel/pick/poke it out. I have the new sleeve. My question is do I add any lubrication to either the outside or inside of the sleeve before I pop it in or is dry OK?

And does the flattened rim face the outside or the inside?

Hopefully I explained this well enough for a little gui....I gotta get photo posting back up and running, sheesh!