YamahaEnduro.com  

Original YamahaEnduro.com forum (From 2006) 13,185 archived posts

Go Back   YamahaEnduro.com > General Discussion > Performance Improvements
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Performance Improvements Discussions on improving performance

Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #21
UTBMXCruiser
Enduro Pro

UTBMXCruiser May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

And, you can make spacers to put on the damping rods to reduce the fork travel to maintain the balance front and rear. Either that or have a machine shop turn you out some new shorter damping rods. Most likely you're going to need to do that or it will look like a chopper.
86 YZ250S, 84 RZ350L KR, 82 IT465J, 81 YZ465H X 2, 81 ZIT465H, 79 DT250F, 78 DT400E X 2, 78 YZ400E, 78 DT175E, 77 YZ400D X 2, 77 YZ250D, 76 Bultaco 250 Pursang Mk 9, 75 DT250B, 74 Suzuki TM250L, 72 DT2 MX X 2
UTBMXCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
UTBMXCruiser
Enduro Pro

UTBMXCruiser May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

In other words, having a bunch of the fork sticking up in the clamps will result in the tire hitting the fender. Spacer, maybe add another top out spring, or make shorter damping rods. One of those will be the solution. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Frankly, I should do that to my 79 DT. That and put one of my 400 motors in that frame cause that 250 motor won't get out of it's own way. Or transfer the front end over to my DT400 cause the 79 has a fuel tank leak. Though I could probably stop the leak with some aircraft fuel cell sealant. Sorry I kind of went off topic.
86 YZ250S, 84 RZ350L KR, 82 IT465J, 81 YZ465H X 2, 81 ZIT465H, 79 DT250F, 78 DT400E X 2, 78 YZ400E, 78 DT175E, 77 YZ400D X 2, 77 YZ250D, 76 Bultaco 250 Pursang Mk 9, 75 DT250B, 74 Suzuki TM250L, 72 DT2 MX X 2
UTBMXCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #23
Snglsmkr

Snglsmkr May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default Don't Want A DT Chopper

Good to know the gauge cluster should bolt up, that will be a time saver. I did not purchase a complete XT350 front. My somewhat brief search did not on cover one. Wheel assemblies with disk attached seemed easy to find. This is new ground for me so I am approaching it in stages. The fork length and travel is my primary issue to resolve. I was wondering if a machine shop could cut down and rethread the tubes. This would require shorter springs as a minimum. It's been a few years since I've had a front fork disassembled so I'm anxious to get the XT parts and figure out what the options might be to limit travel. The "wet" parts of the braking system should be fairly easy to obtain as there is a strong aftermarket industry for disk brakes. I am hoping it is true for components that fit the XT.
Snglsmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #24
nhsteve
Enduro Pro

nhsteve May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default R5 brake shoes, among other things

I think you will be able to find almost everything you might be needing for the R5 at HVC cycle, as their initial focus was and remains the RD series twins. I have never gotten anything of 'inferior' quality from them.

They have started to expand into the enduro series as well.

https://hvccycle.net/
Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #25
MarkT
Enduro Master

MarkT May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

As UTBMX said... a simple internal spacer on the damping rod will shorten the forks... no need to cut the tubes. You just end up with more overlap which is not a bad thing.

Another possibility is sometimes you can swap the outer slider and use your fork tubes and damping rods as long as the inner fork tube has the same OD as your original forks.

With spacers or lower swaps you need to measure things and make sure you have enough overlap and that the tube doesn't bottom out in the slider prematurely.

P.S. Triple clamps swap right over on many Yamaha models. Oddly enough, Yamaha made a lot of changes to the spacing for the gauge mounts over the years so it pays to measure. R5 and RD forks/brakes are quite heavy... the XT is a better choice IMHO.
1963 Yamaha YG1-T "Trailmaster"
1965 Yamaha MG1-T "Omaha Trailmaster"
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 AM   #26
Snglsmkr

Default Keep The Springs

This issue with fork length and adjusting travel is sounding less daunting. The advice I've received from those with experience is certainly the reason.

I was not looking forward to having tubes modified and if all the mods are internal it seems to streamline the process. Since I will be targeting travel to be the same as (or very close to) DT 360 stock, the original DT springs would be the proper length. The diameter (inner and/or outer) may be slightly smaller than the XT 350 springs. If the ID is too small it won't fit over the rod. But if it does, I wonder if I should be concerned about a slightly smaller OD. Possibly increased wear due to more side pressure against the tube.

Why am I starting to feel like I am over anal-izing this!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #27
MarkT
Enduro Master

MarkT May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

I just looked up 86 XT350 forks... ummm... they are leading axle so you'll want to use them with the correct offset triple clamps or you'll most likely have a dangerous handling bike.

If you use the correct triple clamps, you end up with forks that hit the stock gas tank.
1963 Yamaha YG1-T "Trailmaster"
1965 Yamaha MG1-T "Omaha Trailmaster"
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #28
Snglsmkr

Default Add Two More Dents To The Tank

The triple clamps are from a 79 DT250 the has a leading axle fork as well. I was wondering if there would be interference issues at the steering limits. The tank can be moved back a small amount as the seat has a nonmetallic type base that leaves room between the tank and seat. My R5C has this same "flaw". Adding some hardware to create adjustable steering stops may be a good option. With some luck the parts may be here for the weekend and they can be fit up for an initial evaluation.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #29
Snglsmkr

Default Triple Clamps

The triple clamps from the 79 DT250 arrived so I was able to check the length of the steering axle against the steering head. It looks to be very close if not the exact same as the existing set up. This is good! The clamps are a bit crusty snd rusty on the bottom rear and are missing some nuts snd bolt. So I have a some details to attend to while waiting for the forks to arrive that are still in transit.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:49 AM   #30
Snglsmkr

Default Non Technical Update

So far I have the triple clamp assembly from a 79 DT350, forks and caliper from a 91 XT350 and a front wheel with disk from a 90 XT350 in my conversion parts heap. As I find them I will be adding a master cylinder assembly and front axle to the pile. Since the fork travel will be reduced I'm expecting the XT350 brake line will be too long to fit and look right so this may need to be custom.