YamahaEnduro.com  

Original YamahaEnduro.com forum (From 2006) 13,185 archived posts

Go Back   YamahaEnduro.com > General Discussion > MX Specific Topics
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

MX Specific Topics For Yamaha MX Specific Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
jdsmetx
Mini Enduro

jdsmetx May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default MX360 Questions

I have been slowly putting together my 74 MX360 basket case and currently working on the engine. I had my local vintage shop bore my cylinder and provide me a Yamaha piston and ring which they purchased from ebay. During assembly, I noticed the ring was bent and out of round. I did my best to bend it back into shape but was not very happy with the way it fit on the piston.
Question: Should I use this ring or purchase another?

The other issue is I sent my cylinder head and a bunch of other parts to be vapor blasted but the cylinder head was lost! Now I need another cylinder head for a 74 MX360. I have a DT360 cylinder head but not sure what the difference is.
Question: Can I use the 74 DT360 cylinder head and what can I expect in performance?

Lastly, I have the stock ignition for this bike but I suspect its bad. I seen a new CDI box from www.CDIBOX.com and wonder if anybody has used these. The information on their website says they fixed the "kick back" problem from back in the day and it's a "plug and play" setup.
Question: Anybody use these or is there something else such as PVL Ignition?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Enduronut
Enduro Master & Site Moderator

Enduronut Knows what an Enduro Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmetx View Post
I have been slowly putting together my 74 MX360 basket case and currently working on the engine. I had my local vintage shop bore my cylinder and provide me a Yamaha piston and ring which they purchased from ebay. During assembly, I noticed the ring was bent and out of round. I did my best to bend it back into shape but was not very happy with the way it fit on the piston.
Question: Should I use this ring or purchase another?

The other issue is I sent my cylinder head and a bunch of other parts to be vapor blasted but the cylinder head was lost! Now I need another cylinder head for a 74 MX360. I have a DT360 cylinder head but not sure what the difference is.
Question: Can I use the 74 DT360 cylinder head and what can I expect in performance?

Lastly, I have the stock ignition for this bike but I suspect its bad. I seen a new CDI box from www.CDIBOX.com and wonder if anybody has used these. The information on their website says they fixed the "kick back" problem from back in the day and it's a "plug and play" setup.
Question: Anybody use these or is there something else such as PVL Ignition?

I'll answer your first question . . .
Toss the ring in question . . . any unnecessary bending will compromise it's strength, and make it more susceptible to breakage while running. Also, a ring must be perfectly true and flat to seal . . . any bending (other then what's required to get it onto the piston) will likely warp it permanently and end up causing blow-by.

IMHO, . . . it's not worth the risks, just to save a few bucks.

- EN ... sigles@rushmore.com
... Failure ² = Success
Enduronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
jdsmetx
Mini Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduronut View Post
I'll answer your first question . . .
Toss the ring in question . . . any unnecessary bending will compromise it's strength, and make it more susceptible to breakage while running. Also, a ring must be perfectly true and flat to seal . . . any bending (other then what's required to get it onto the piston) will likely warp it permanently and end up causing blow-by.

IMHO, . . . it's not worth the risks, just to save a few bucks.

Thanks Enduronut! Just ordered another from evil bay!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
UTBMXCruiser
Enduro Pro

UTBMXCruiser May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

A PVL ignition as far as I know is a self contained unit and eliminates all the stock ignition.

I had good luck putting a 77-79 YZ400 ignition on a friends MX360 when I went through it (lost my ass on that deal) for him 2 years ago. The stator plate, flywheel and box. All of that a direct bolt on and even the timing marks lined up. All that is needed is the correct flywheel nut, lock washer and flat washer from the donor bike or new available from Yamaha replacing the nut for the stock internal rotor.

For sure that (78 I used) ignition calmed down the power delivery making it more ride-able.

I'm not gonna lie, I am not a fan of those bikes. The airbox is absolute junk. Handles like a worn out bread truck. The front will wash out on the driveway pushing it out to the trailer. Will put you in the hospital if you try to go fast on it.

Better suited as a shrimp boat anchor. Just saying. Good luck with that.
86 YZ250S, 84 RZ350L KR, 82 IT465J, 81 YZ465H X 2, 81 ZIT465H, 79 DT250F, 78 DT400E X 2, 78 YZ400E, 78 DT175E, 77 YZ400D X 2, 77 YZ250D, 76 Bultaco 250 Pursang Mk 9, 75 DT250B, 74 Suzuki TM250L, 72 DT2 MX X 2
UTBMXCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
UTBMXCruiser
Enduro Pro

UTBMXCruiser May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Another thing to be aware of is the very fragile 1st gear on the main shaft. The teeth will shread right off that shaft and be floating around in your gear box. The stock gearing ratio pretty much requires the use of 1st gear when riding. Whatever it takes you need to final drive gear the bike so you don't need first gear for anything more than riding in the pits.
86 YZ250S, 84 RZ350L KR, 82 IT465J, 81 YZ465H X 2, 81 ZIT465H, 79 DT250F, 78 DT400E X 2, 78 YZ400E, 78 DT175E, 77 YZ400D X 2, 77 YZ250D, 76 Bultaco 250 Pursang Mk 9, 75 DT250B, 74 Suzuki TM250L, 72 DT2 MX X 2
UTBMXCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
jdsmetx
Mini Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBMXCruiser View Post
Another thing to be aware of is the very fragile 1st gear on the main shaft. The teeth will shread right off that shaft and be floating around in your gear box. The stock gearing ratio pretty much requires the use of 1st gear when riding. Whatever it takes you need to final drive gear the bike so you don't need first gear for anything more than riding in the pits.
Thanks for the advice on the ignition, I'll look into it. When I got this bike it was in boxes and the cases were already apart. When I started putting it back together 1st and 3rd gear were toast probably from what you described. I have the engine back together (at least the bottom end) and everything seems to be coming together....we shall see...lol!